Re: CC or BBb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by GC on May 09, 2002 at 15:29:37:

In Reply to: CC or BBb posted by question? on May 09, 2002 at 08:39:27:

Some tunes are in keys that are more easily fingered on BBb, some more easily on CC. Likewise, when comparing Eb and F tubas, the same applies. In the last year or so, I switched from CC back to BBb mostly because I spend nearly all of my time playing in flat keys. On the CC tuba, pieces in Db and Gb were giving me fits with fingerings, and the low F's that the main arranger for our band is so fond of were difficult to play quickly and in tune. Switching to a BBb tuba made most playing much easier, but then we hit some tunes with fast-moving parts in C and G that would have been much easier on CC.

If you are a virtuoso player, the difference in speed of response and workmanship on good CC horns may make a difference to you. Many CC tubas have a more focused, brighter, clarion tone than most BBb's. If you're going to play in an orchestra, this may make a big difference. If you want a deeper, darker tone, you may be better off with BBb (though there are plenty of exceptions to this in both cases). Getting the sound you want is the most important thing, not the fundamental pitch of the horn that you use to get it.

Follow Ups: