Getzen Questions: Mouthpieces & Mute

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom B. on May 10, 2002 at 23:17:25:

Hi,

I've been playing a Canadian Brass CB 50 for some time now, but have just started to realize that the mouthpiece I've been using doesn't seem to a perfect match for use with such a horn. I like to switch mouthpieces much, so I'm looking for a good all around mouthpiece to use just about all of the time.

All of my mouthpieces were purchased back when I still had my Miraphone, and most worked very well on that horn. But the Getzen is totally different than my old Miraphone, so I'm asking your opinion on mouthpieces that I should try out. I'm very interested in what other Getzen owners have found success with, as well as 5xJ players (since the 'concept' of the horns is the same).

I've been using a Schilke Geib II, but also have a PT-88, a Miraphone C-3, Orfeo Deck 2, a small custom Schilke (wrong shank size for this horn), and a Conn 7B. Among these I still haven't found anything that is easy on my face and sounds good on the horn.

My other question is about mutes. Does anyone know of a good straight mute for a Getzen? Since the 5xJ are about the same, I'd also be interested in what you guys are using. Would just about any mute require a little custom work to fit such an odd shaped tuba?

Thanks

Follow Ups: