Re: Re: Re: Tenor Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on May 11, 2002 at 00:28:20:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Tenor Tuba posted by Cerveny on May 10, 2002 at 23:37:56:

I don't care at all what "English" tems a Czech company might whimming up with for their products.

If you care to go to the page linked to below you will notice, that the Denak conglomerate offers pages in Czech, English, and Italian. The second most obvious language after Czech is missing. Denak has a huge market in Germany for its rotary instruments.

Why is there not a page in German?

Because Germany is the most hated nation in Europe (the current problems in Balkan not counting here). 57 years are not enough to erase memories.

When I was in the Netherlands in 1968 I was told to approach people in English, and first then speak German to them, as that was the foreign language they actually understood.

The Czechs had a fate during WWII that was much harder, than that of any more western country. Hence the Czech use of English terms is much more a political statement than a reference to a terminology, that has any musical bearing of relevance.

On the minor tuba/euph forum I actually have defended the use of the German rotary Bariton and Tenorhorn, as I consider diversity in instrumentation a world-level richness. And the intrusion of the real euphonium in the German bands hence must be seen as an empoverishment.

Still I very frankly will say, that a statement about the Czech/German Bariton being perfect for Bydlo type pieces mostly expresses a very skewed understanding of Ravel and the historical background for his mastery of instrumentation.

More about Germany: I have lived there from 1947 to 1958. I can speak with any individual German. But I do not trust them as a nation. This is not a political board, but yet it might be of interest to Americans to know, that the EU is not a European invention. It started out as a US scheme to encapsulate Germany.

Once more my holistic view of music and art being integrated in the history of humanity has made me challenge the limits of a musical board. Yet I intend to stay withing these borderlines.

Klaus

Follow Ups: