Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: LIARS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on May 13, 2002 at 14:41:29:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: LIARS posted by TAZ on May 13, 2002 at 10:56:23:

OK...(' finally putting on my "serious" hat).

Mira"f"one used to supply a lyre in a "kit" with a screwdriver, mallet, grease, and oil, possibly as late as the early 1980's.

So few folks want lyres that I'm sure that manufacturers don't find supplying lyres to be something that promotes more sales.

:^/

IF your tuba has a lyre HOLDER, there are some L-O-N-G lyres that are universal and can be bent to shape. They come in basically TWO square stock diameters: a "skinny" size (used by Getzen, U.M.I., Blessing, and some others) and a "fat" size (used by Yamaha and others). You would have to determine which one of these two sizes would be a better fit for your existing lyre holder. A well-stocked band instrument store would have these L-O-N-G universal lyres in both thicknesses, hopefully for less than $6.

If your tuba doesn't have a lyre holder, you might need a little bit of help (hopefully less than $30 worth) from a repair guy - supplying and installing a lyre holder in a strategic and sturdy spot. Hopefully, he would supply and fit a lyre for you as part of the deal.

IF your mouthpiece receiver JUST HAPPENS to be the the *correct diameter and fairly cylindrial in the outside, a stock trombone lyre might clamp right on to the mouthpiece receiver. This would be a carefree and simple solution.

*Trombone lyres are available in three or four different interior clamp-down diameter ranges, depending on what brand(s) of trombones they are designed to fit. Further, some of them have an adjustable distance on how far away from your eyes the actual lyre clamp is located.

Follow Ups: