Re: Military Bands

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on May 13, 2002 at 19:28:49:

In Reply to: Military Bands posted by Matt A. on May 13, 2002 at 18:48:22:

What are the advantages and disadvantages between the various branches of the military bands?

I understand that the Air Force field bands are of the highest musical quality. They are very selective in hiring people. The Army Bands have 3 tiers of bands with special bands, major command bands, and division/national guard/etc bands. Marines start everyone out as an E-1. Yikes. Navy bands are typically fairly small and of varying compositions.

When are you made aware of your post? Is it before Basic Training, before the School of Music or after all of it?

Work that one out with the recruiter I guess.

I was reading a brochure from the Army Bands saying that basic training is 9 weeks and then the School of Music is 24 weeks. Is this the same with each branch?

Army Basic takes a total of about 10 weeks or so including in processing for basic. The School of music for the Army is the same school used by the Navy and Marines. It is located in Norfolk, VA. Length of stay depends on skill level of the individual coming in. More talented and those with previous education in theory and such will get through quicker than those who were not the best student/musician in their high school band. Air Force bands skip school and go straight from basic to their units.

Does basic training differ between the branches?

Different lengths and different aspects covered. My wife went through Navy basic and said her longest "road march" was one mile to the chow hall. She even got to play in graduation band there. The recruits who know how to play an instrument are allowed to perform in the graduation band. I am unsure of the Air Force except that I believe they have the shortest basic and you get to play a horn while your there also.
Army basic is the same as for any other private entering. It is about 10 weeks or so and will be an experience you will not forget. Lots of PT, road marches, and cleaning M-16's. Some of the most difficult times for me in basic were just trying to stay awake during fire watch and classroom time.
Marine basic is also no different for musicians than any other marine coming in. Tough as hell and lots of time behind the M-16. I believe they have to qualify at 500m. Army only qualifies at 300m to graduate.
If you are not a decent runner, then start to do some jogging/running now. It will help make the first few weeks of basic training much easier on you if you are already used to running.

Do we get a special wimpy-basic training? Are the musicians grouped together at basic?

Some might say that the Air Force and Navy basic have some "wimpy" aspects because musicians get a little bit of preferential treatment in being allowed to play. Basic is not going to be "fun" for most people no matter which route they take. Just remember that you probably only have to go through basic training once in your entire life and it "only" lasts for around 2-3 months. Practically speaking, it is a very very very minute part of your military career and just a blip on the timeline for your life. Don't get too wound up about it. Everyone makes it through and talks about it for a few months afterwards, then moves on with their life/career.

Is there a better time in the year to enlist?

Whenever the enlistment bonuses are the largest :) Check with the recruiter for that one. I went through in the early spring so it was pretty chilly in the morning for PT, but overall the weather was pretty darned good. I might have gotten rained on 3 times the whole time I was there. I would avoid going through in the cold months of the winter or in the hottest part of summer if I were you. Shoot for fall or spring for the better temperatures.

Do you get any say in where you are posted after training and school?

Ask the recruiter. If you elect to go to an unpopular place for your first enlistment, such as Korea, then you might be able to get a higher sign on bonus. Remember though that nothing counts unless it is in writing and on your contract. Recruiters will promise the moon, but might end up writing down and MOS of 11B with a first duty station of Korea on your contract and the rank of E-1 even though you might have a Masters degree in music from the University of Michigan. Get it all in writing and understand what is happening.

As a final note. If you are seriously thinking about a military career, are under the age of 28, and have a Bachelors degree in any field, then look into becoming an officer instead of an enlisted soldier. The money is way better as an officer and the prospects after separating from the military are also much better. ROTC is also a great route to take if you are just getting ready for college and not sure how to pay for it. You can get school paid for, make a little money for gas and food while in college, and then become an officer after graduation.

sean

Follow Ups: