Re: Re: like a string bass....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on May 16, 2002 at 11:12:30:

In Reply to: Re: like a string bass.... posted by The real reason on May 16, 2002 at 10:20:38:

The experiences with elephants in heat hardly would be personal for you?

The band in question does not sound like being composed like anything similar to a British brass band.

If intonation, articulation, dynamics, release, and all the other subtle elements of ensemble are mastered, then a contrabass tuba line-up of 6 would be pure joy in a band of an appropriate size.

In real brass bands there can arise problems, if the Eb bass tuba line is outheavying the BBb contrabass tuba line.

This mismatch of balance can happen by sheer incongruence of numbers. I have experienced imbalance with a true Brit Eb as a 981 put over a medium Cerveny BBb played with its original mouthpiece. A US correspondent has told of instances of ringers playing huge 6/4 CC's demanding to read from the Eb tuba parts for obvious, but not convincing reasons. With even less convincing results.

As for the original posting: If a 2 person sub-section sounds better than the usual full section, then either the (potentially non-existent) audition process has failed. Or there is an unfulfilled call for sectional rehearsals.

Tubas are not the only instruments, where I have heard, that putting a player in the upper octave of a large section solves problems with "muddiness". I would suggest draining muddy areas with old-fashioned practising, in individual and/or collective settings.

Klaus

Follow Ups: