Klaus' statement of 5/11 re. Tenor Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Volker on May 17, 2002 at 10:34:22:

Klaus,
You pointed out, that you lived in Germany from 1947 up to 1958. Please don't forget, that after 1968 the new era began in regard to the mind of society and politics (initiated by the students movment). One aspect of the well know Germany mentality is to swing from one extreme to the other.
As for at least West Germany, it has been one of the most liberal countries and societies within the Western world in the recent decades. East Germany had a complete different history between 1945 and 1989, so 12/13 years cannot equalize and compensate everything.
I don't know, if the EC is quasi a U.S. pattern, but I know that France and Germany under De Gaulle and Adenauer made the first steps in the direction to a united Europe in the early 60s - under the suspicious views of certain other nations, and Germany under Willy "falling down on his knees" Brandt initiated the first approach to the East, namely Poland etc.
I am not an extraordinary fan of my country, but I see the advantages and the disadvantages as well as the drastical change in society since your early experiences.
My thesis is: There are good and bad people homogeneously spread all over the world.
You are right in a way: It's the individuum that counts.
Sorry and excuses for the discourse.
Volker "German of French inheritage, but mainly considering myself as a cosmopolite" Lantelme

Follow Ups: