Old pic

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on May 18, 2002 at 13:19:04:

Of course i am an "oldies" freak, and my auction scannings let me find a goodie from time to time. This pic hardly will stay on its server for ever, so save it if interested.

Comments on the pic:

The extreme bell volume and lack of flare on the tubas points back to Cerveny designs. Of course they even might be Cervenys. But tubas like these were very common, when I started out in brass in 1960 in a countrY somewhat north of Bavaria, from where this pic comes. Both look like BBb's.

Very typical of German bands, even present days military bands, are the two Eb cavalry trumpets seen at the front. In Germany they actually are used as "Fanfaren" in the infantry. Last i saw them applied the band trumpeters had the cordelled over their shoulders and used them as alternatives to their rotary Bb trumpets.

Player ## 1 and 3 from right in the backrow seem to have "marching" Eb and Bb rotary instruments. So not all marching designs are American and coming out of the DCI.

The only real surprise to me is the shepherds crook piston cornet just right of the bass drum (which is typically shallow for Germany).

Klaus

Follow Ups: