Re: Re: A really detachable F

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on May 20, 2002 at 09:34:13:

In Reply to: Re: A really detachable F posted by Volker on May 20, 2002 at 07:38:52:

The German education system told of in a previous posting (please see link) might together with the existense of a scientific center for acoustics in Hannover (?) be the reasons why there are so many independent, albeit small, brass makers in that country.

The tuba in question went for €990, which is a very low price for a quality instrument. I would like to own this one for myself, but I am not into F tubas, the seller would not sell out of Germany, and last not least I was hunting for and won a rarity in G, that I might tell of later.

Some clues might tell of the detachable F being even more interesting:

The solderseam corrosion on the bottom bow together with the absense of a bowguard might very well point towards the bow being cut from sheet, not being pressed from drawn tubing. Giving a more uniform wall strength. That is the modus of production seen in the old and sought after US tubas and sousas.

Klaus

PS: OK, the pic of the G thing might disappear from the net in the near future so here it is:

Follow Ups: