Re: 20J induced backache

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gus Pratt on May 22, 2002 at 20:05:54:

In Reply to: 20J induced backache posted by Rick Denney on May 22, 2002 at 13:00:44:

I've always held my upright tubas the same. I hold the tuba at a 45 degree angle to the right and the horn resting on the inner portion of my knees. The bottom bow is then resting on my left knee. To adjust the heighth of the leadpipe all I do is spread my legs to drop the tuba down some. I usually pull my feet back and rest on the balls of the feet, with the heels well off the ground. My feet are usually underneath the chair. This gives me more control of my legs to support the horn. I can lift my lap and spread my legs at will. Since the horn is tilted to the right, this moves the bottom of the first valve slide to the left, and makes it reachable. I also find that I don't have to tweak my back or ar as much, since the valve are then further to the right. I have to admit though that I sometimes find that my right hand is uncomfortable, because the horn is usually leaning against it, but I've gotten used to it.

Follow Ups: