Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SFSO situation for now

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on May 24, 2002 at 12:51:27:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SFSO situation for now posted by Tom C. on May 24, 2002 at 12:37:30:

It depends on how you approach all those real issues. Lots of folks get resentful when their younger boss rightly exerts his (or, worse for many older fellas, her) authority. Lots of folks can't adapt. Lots of folks don't do what it takes to make sure they are worth that extra 20%. I submit that in nearly all cases that experience is not a liability unless there's something else going on, too. And I say that as the oldest person in my region (the eastern third of the U.S.), and one who does special projects that lots of other folks in the company don't really understand. I am constantly on the alert for doing things that will class me as rigid and old-fashioned. Actually, I'm probably less rigid now than I was when I was younger.

Part of it is expectation. I don't expect my younger boss to show me any more respect than he shows anybody else. I'm not working for respect, I'm working for a paycheck. I so, however, show him respect in line with his position. It has a funny way of coming back to me.

At the end of the day, the fellow who knows how things work, and who will give you that knowledge without having to bow down to him, will keep his job. As long as he can consistently write 32 billable hours on his timesheet every week.

My father retired two years ago from one of the largest engineering corporations in the world. Despite his age (early 70's), they begged him not to go, and they brought him back under part-time contract for a year. He's my role model for how to survive in corporations.

Rick "as high as he'll ever be on the corporate ladder and content" Denney

Follow Ups: