Re: Reynolds Dr Young mouthpiece

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on May 28, 2002 at 11:36:08:

In Reply to: Reynolds Dr Young mouthpiece posted by Gus Pratt on May 27, 2002 at 12:57:02:

Hopefully, Fred Young will clarify, but there are Dr. Young mouthpieces and then there are the Reynolds Dr. Young mouthpieces. The latter look just like horn mouthpieces except scaled up, and I mean up. The backbore was relatively small, as I recall. They are really nothing like the mouthpiece that you might actually get from Dr. Young, if he still has any. His are still very large with a pronounced straight funnel shape, but with a rounded venturi section at the throat that I don't recall on the Reynolds version. And the throat is huge with a nearly untapered backbore, which may compensate for the length in terms of intonation tendencies. The example that I saw recently was made of lexan or some other hard plastic, except for the throat and shank, which were a single piece machined from brass.

I always thought the Reynolds version made a tuba sound woofy, and robbed the instrument of color, at least when I tried it. The lack of resistance made it no mouthpiece for someone without serious air production. But I've heard the other one played by an amateur, who was able to move around on the instrument and make a characteristic sound without too much trouble, it seemed to me.

Rick "who wonders if Dr. Young still makes them for people on request" Denney

Follow Ups: