Re: MW Griffith Model

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Nate Griffith on May 29, 2002 at 19:01:38:

In Reply to: MW Griffith Model posted by SkyviewTuba on May 28, 2002 at 22:41:44:

As stated in the listing at Baltimore Brass, this tuba is a Meinl Westin Model 30 that I customized for a local client. The original valves were shot on the tuba as he had played it for 15+ years in a lot of quintet work. He had purchased the horn used and I don't know the actual age of the horn. To remedy the situation for him I installed a 4 valve cluster that originally was in a Mirafone 1290 prototype. The pistons are stainless steel and made in Germany. The pistons are .750 bore and the slide tubing is ale .770 bore. The rotor valve is a Rotax valve with .810 bore.

The horn actually plays quite well. I was pleasantly surprised that no major intonation problems came up. No, it is not perfect intonation but it is very playable. The owner replaced it with a Hirsbrunner piston horn when he was able to afford it.

At the $2600 price that Dave Fedderly is asking for the horn it is a very good deal. You are welcome to email me with any questions you might have. I don't regularly peruse tubenet.

Follow Ups: