Re: Re: Re: Re: Besson (Nirschl) CC tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on May 30, 2002 at 14:26:45:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Besson (Nirschl) CC tuba posted by wars rumors of war on May 30, 2002 at 01:49:21:

I have seen and played one of the prototypes. It is a 4/4, 5-valve CC tuba with front-action piston valves. I don't recall my impression of it, but my memory is clouded by a 6/4 York/Rusk conversion that I had played the same day, which left a lasting impression.

As I recall the story, the production will be in a Boosey and Hawkes factory, based on a design by Walter Nirschl. The prototypes were not, of course, mass-produced. Whether the final product will be comparable to the Nirschl 4/4 instrument remains to be seen, but they are not the same and they are not intended to be the same.

And I'm not so sure that describing Nirschl as being owned by Boosey and Hawkes is completely accurate. It seems certain that they have a deal, and it probably involved investment money, but there has been no public statement that I've seen about the nature and extent of their business relationship. This tuba is definitly a collaboration, but I'm not sure it is known how far beyond this tuba that collaboration extends.

I have heard nothing to indicate that plans for this tuba are in any long-term jeopardy, though production dates have been pushed back (this much was reported some months ago on this forum). I do know a Besson-sponsored pro who expects to see one at ITEC.

Rick "who craves an authoritative statement of facts" Denney

Follow Ups: