Re: The very smallest

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on May 30, 2002 at 15:10:54:

In Reply to: The very smallest posted by Mary Ann on May 30, 2002 at 09:40:48:

Good is a gray area, and means something different to everyone. I'll take as the standard those instrument used by more than one player in professional situations, or by at least one real star for an extended period.

For Eb, the smallest Eb that I see in regular professional use around these parts is the Besson 983. Of course, it isn't that small, heh, heh.

Charles Daellenbach played a Yamaha 621 CC in the Canadian Brass for many years, with no complaint. Although I think the 621 formula works better for an F, it worked for him at the top of the profession. Of course, you tried a 621 F unsuccessfully on your way to the Meinl-Weston, so you might have already rejected that option. The 621 BBb is well-liked by many who own it, but you have to approach it carefully, it seems to me. The ones I've tried were easy to overblow, and this applied the Weril as well. But I was probably trying to push sound through the horn instead of working with it. To the extent that any small BBb tuba meets my criteria above, both the Yamaha and the Weril do.

Another small tuba with a highly qualified following is the Conn 3J, 4J, and 5J series. They have a smaller bore than the 621, and a larger bow and bell flare.

If you want a rotary tuba like your F, I like the Meinl-Weston model 18, and revered tubas in this category include the Miraphone 184 and the Rudy Meinl 3/4 (which is a bit larger). I have to say that every time I've heard a 184 from out front, its sound has been lost. Perhaps I needed a better sample of players to listen to. I've heard it played in solo situations and in quintets. I've never played or heard the Rudy, but they do attract mythical status, or so it seems.

It seems to me that the Cerveny Piggy is a giant compared to all of these, with a huge bore, a compact wrap, and a small bell.

Rick "whose tuba lust has gone the other way recently" Denney

Follow Ups: