Re: 20J induced backache

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by twoconnguy on June 06, 2002 at 23:59:25:

In Reply to: 20J induced backache posted by Rick Denney on May 22, 2002 at 13:00:44:

Dear Mr. Denney, I don't know if you will go back far enough on the board to read this but I thought I would throw in my two cents. I have two things I use with my 24J. For use at home, I got an old wooden seated folding chair at a garage sale and bolted about a six inch triangle shaped 1/2" plywood extension to the bottom of the seat, that sticks out between my legs. Then I laminated more pieces of wood to the top of the extension until the horn was a comfortable height and felt balanced for me. I carved out a concave area in the top piece of wood so the horn had a bit of a pocket to sit in, so it wouldn't want to slide off when I reached for music. I covered the extension with a thin foam pad and a scrap of velvet to avoid scratching my horn. To avoid having to haul the chair with me to rehearsals and concerts, I made a plywood seat with a built up extension on it and covered it with some foam and velvet upholstery for comfort. I just throw it on top of the chair, sit down, pick up my horn, and set it between my legs (best place for a naked lady). No aching back or bruised thighs. I also put a strap on the horn so it can’t get away from me if I need two hands for oiling valves, pulling the slides to dump them out, or shuffling music. I hope this helps out or sparks more ideas on how to handle one of these monsters.
P.S. My other Conn is a 38K, just in case you or anyone else cares.

Follow Ups: