Re: Re: Re: Valves on F Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on May 04, 2003 at 00:35:37:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Valves on F Tuba posted by Help on Vaughan W. on May 03, 2003 at 23:22:51:

You have defined your options in your post:

Rotary valve models will offer you more 6-valve F tuba choices. Myself, having had a 6-valve F tuba for over twenty years, I would not consider any 5-valve models unless their superb intonation defied the mathmatical acoustical problems defined by only 5 valves. I find the problematic pitches created by only 5 valves on an F tuba to be high enough in frequency (not super-low pitches, but well within discriminating listening range) that I consider them to be serious problems to listeners' ears as well as my own. (Yes, I'm risking sounding like Dr. Young on this issue and I am in the vast minority here - opinion-wise - as I seem to be on many issues..)

CC tubas are OK with only 5 valves, simply because the unsolved intonation problems mostly involve extremely low pitches. Further, considering a 5-valve CC tuba with overall outstanding intonation, the 5th valve slide can be tuned (generally, and with some special exceptions obviously) to favor # keys or b keys - thereby being left in one place for considerable periods of time and without constant slide manipulation.

Follow Ups: