Re: Re: too many ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Andy Miller on May 04, 2003 at 16:13:34:

In Reply to: Re: too many ? posted by Doug Whitten on May 03, 2003 at 09:26:49:

Doug,

I'll quote you if you don't mind....

"Almost all tuba/ euph only jobs are part-time. The only exception being in a place where the number of tuba majors really does fill up the professors schedule...and I think that may be a total of 3-5 schools in the whole country. The position at Oklahoma, for instance is advertised as a part-time adjunct position."

In addition to my situation, I can name (at least, to the best of my knowledge) two other schools in Michigan where the tuba/euph professor teaches tuba/euph only...I'll let you guess the other two schools. If 3 exist in one state, I would hanker to bet that there are more than 3-5 schools out there with full-time tuba/euph profs.

Sure, I play in a faculty quintet and from time to time coach a chamber group or two, but I have no other responsibilities (theory, band, appreciation classes, etc.) Thank goodness I have other things to do besides teach lessons all day...I think I'd go nuts!

Now that I've said that, with the financial problems facing all schools at the moment, I may have to take on an additional class in the next year or two due to cutbacks in part-time faculty, but that's just because I'm the newest guy on the tenure-track totem pole.

I really have nothing else to say regarding the other posts...I'm very grateful for my gig and would hate to think what I'd be doing without it!

Follow Ups: