Re: Yamaha 842S euphers!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Edens on May 04, 2003 at 20:15:19:

In Reply to: Yamaha 842S euphers! posted by Cale Self on May 04, 2003 at 02:02:08:

I have been playing on a 842S for about five months (got it for Christmas) My Monette TT4 has worked well, but I am always playing around with new mouthpieces. I have tried a Schilke 51D, my Monette,which I have owned for about a year and a half, Bach 5G, which I played before I got the Monette,6.5AL,4G, and 5GS, a Conn 1 1/4H, a Marcienkiwicz (heh... I have finally internalized Marcienkiwicz's spelling) George Roberts model, a Wick 4AL, a Doug Elliot (only for a few minutes) and an old Besson 14 Eb tuba mouthpiece that has a small enough shank to fit comfortably into a large euphonium reciever. (No, I didn't pay for all those mouthpieces!) Next week I am going to borrow a Greg Black 4G. I still haven't tried any of the SM mouthpieces, simply because I don't know anybody that plays on one.

My findings from all of my mouthpiece experimentation? The Monette is a great mouthpiece for the 842S. (At least for my chops and approach) The thing about Monette equipment that I have discovered in my conversations with current and former Monette owners is that Monette is like sauerkraut: you either love it or hate it. Nevertheless, I would definitely encourage you to try one out. Of course, if you don't live in the Northwest, trying one out is probably difficult. (I live near Portland, OR and just drove up to the Monette factory to get it from Dean Comely, who does the mouthpiece manufacturing for Dave Monette)

Sorry for my post's somewhat "bubbly" nature. I just won the State Solo contest yesterday and am still a bit excited.

-John Edens

Follow Ups: