Re: Re: Our business

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike Davis on May 05, 2003 at 15:40:19:

In Reply to: Re: Our business posted by Todd S. Malicoate on May 05, 2003 at 15:07:19:

>When was the last time the government had to subsidize a professional sports team?

The simple answer is the last time that they built them a new stadium, or provided a major tax break, or built up infrastructure. In short every major sports team in the US is subsidized to some extent. Of course, the most onerous of these supports is building a new stadium for a team that is making the owner money. The idea of using tax dollars to subsidize the ego toys of billionaires is absurd. I found the information in one of the threads below that Boston makes more from the arts than from all of its sports teams combined to be particularly interesting.

All of that said, I do not think that musicians or writers or painters or video artists or Filmmakers should be paid more than the market will bear. As a filmmaker and video artist I have to work a job managing research computing for a University to be able to practice my art. What's more, I'm not complaining over it. I enjoy my work and my art.

Mike

Follow Ups: