Re: horn intonation and button-pushing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by dmmorris on May 05, 2003 at 15:48:46:

In Reply to: horn intonation and button-pushing posted by pdq phelps on May 04, 2003 at 15:03:23:

The music (or lack thereof) comes from the guy behind the mouthpiece.

Having all them-there-valves doesn't make hitting the notes easier if the chops and the brain don't know where the pitch is suppose to be. I spent most of my college days playing a college owned 3-valve tuba. Having 3-valves didn't seem to hold me back from having fun making music. Yeah the tuba was a little stuffy and squirly on some notes. I got some wierd looks at the all-state band concerts from the "hardware-boys" with their beautiful 4 & 5 valved horns when showing-up with an un-worthy 3-valver, but I could occasionally get music to come out the other end of the tuba. I played a lot back then and hitting the right pitches seemed a lot easier than it does somedays now. Most of my playing these days takes place on a 4-valve, non-compensated tuba that just happens to have some extra plumbing (read: additional valves). I have found the extra plumbing helpful on occasion, but not necessary. If I'm not hearing the pitch in my head or can't sing the notes, then I will certainly not be able to "push-a-button" and make it come out of the other end correctly.

There is no substitute for time behind the mouthpiece!

Accept this from a slack amateur that just doesn't seem to have the time these days, but still loves playing tuba when the oportunity presents even if only for his own amusement.

-dmm

Follow Ups: