Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Our business

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by I don't think... on May 05, 2003 at 21:53:05:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Our business posted by Your An Idiot on May 05, 2003 at 21:28:03:

...that the majority of orchestral musicians feel that it's their right to drive a BMW. I think they just want to be able to earn a decent living. I posted the following on Joe's "Concert Hall" thread down below, but it was sort of buried there...

...maybe four or five years from now, and after spending 265 million dollars (that more than a quarter of a BILLION dollars...)on the new performing arts complex in Miami, the people of South Florida will realize that maybe they should have somehow given three or four million to the Florida Philharmonic so that they might have a resident orchestra that they can go to hear there. It'll be nice to have a shiny new place to go see the tired old 9th National Company of Phantom of the Opera or Les Miz. Or ballet with tape!

Let's all have good thoughts for Jay Bertolet, the members of the Florida Philharmonic, and their families in what may be the last week of the orchestra's existence. Management told S. Florida residents in the press today that ticket sales are suspended past May 9th, no more subscriptions are being sold for next year, and (my personal favorite), "Donors should be aware that gifts made at this time may not ensure the orchestra's survival." In other words, "DON'T BOTHER". That's marketing and fundraising at its best!

No crybabies or hypocrites there...just people who want to earn a living doing what they've trained most of their lives to do. If you love art, if you love classical music, then call your local symphony orchestra and ask where you can mail a check, no matter how small. It just might help save them.

BTW...it's "YOU'RE an idiot"

Follow Ups: