Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Our business

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill on May 06, 2003 at 22:28:52:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Our business posted by Rick Denney on May 06, 2003 at 18:15:48:

Is America a democracy or a republic?

Sometimes it is better for an elected minority to make decisions for the majority. It is certainly more efficient. Balanced budgets and term limits are ideas that might get (and have gotten) public support. That doesn't mean they are the best policies.

We have the strongest military in the world, and the fire power to destroy the planet. Is that what the constitution calls for? National defense, yes. But at what level of spending?

I seem to remember that Newt Gingrich and his bunch wanted to cut funding to the arts and public television. How did he fare in his reelection? Bill Clinton didn't run on a platform of ending arts subsidies. Neither did George Bush. In fact, the Bush administration has not cut funding to the arts (at least not that I've heard) even as the congress cuts funding to veterans' groups.

This thread came up because we just came out of a bubble market that allowed for some poor planning and decision making, in some states and in some orchestras. Those groups that plan poorly do poorly. I have never said that the government needs to bail out failing orchestras. But I am not against government subsidies to arts groups.

As far as my examples are concerned, the government does lots of things with our money. I'm sure that everyone could find something they disagree with in the way our money is spent. If you don't like it, I'm sure you vote for people that share your views. I will vote for people that represent my views.

My wife is calling me, so I must go now. It's been fun debating with you. Good night.

Bill

Follow Ups: