Re: Re: Recording Bell tuba opinions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by It Works, Jim !! on May 08, 2003 at 14:52:50:

In Reply to: Re: Recording Bell tuba opinions posted by Jim Andrada on May 08, 2003 at 12:31:14:

In the past, I have played two different recording basses with the horn laid across my lap just as you described. It does as you said, the bell points mostly up and gives the ensemble a more diffuse tuba sound. Sometimes, it is a little hard to play in that position, unless you have long arms to reach the valves.

Recording basses (at least the ones I owned), when they are played in the normal upright position, are rather top heavy and unbalanced. When the horn is laid across one's legs, it is much more stable. I have used this technique with two recording basses I have owned, a Holton and a Reynolds.

I currently own the Reynolds and had been thinking about converting it to an upright bell tuba. However, the conversion cost and the fact that I would have the horn standing up to play, in what I consider to be an awkward position, have stopped me from making the conversion. That, and the fact that I use one of my other tubas to play most of the time.

I used a Conn 20J in college. For the most part, I am not a big recording bass fan. However, there are exceptions. If one of the large Holton recording basses of 40 years ago and in in good condition showed up on my doorstep, I wouldn't refuse it!

Follow Ups: