Re: Re: Re: Re: Recording Bell tuba opinions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Graham Smith on May 08, 2003 at 17:21:17:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Recording Bell tuba opinions posted by Tabor on May 08, 2003 at 15:52:31:

I didn't consider leaning over at the time, but I guess that would've helped.

By the way, I play in the Lafayette Concert Band, where we now have 6 tubas, for a band of about 76-80 pieces. I have had to work at playing back a level generally from the dynamic marking (e.g. pp instead of p), since we really do have a little more sound than we generally need and not everybody seems to get as soft as we may need to do for quiet passages.
However, at other times, it's great! We can now play doubling the bass line down 8va where appropriate and really resonate, since there are enough of us to make the lower line really felt.

The director stopped in rehearsal early in the fall season and said "For ten years, I've been praying for a tuba section like this and now I've got it!"

Of course, there's the question of what one -calls- this section when we're all there. "Section" doesn't seem entirely appropriate. Someone who carries far less metal around dubbed us "the pod" (as in whales).

Oh well.

Follow Ups: