Re: Which F Tuba?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Winton on May 09, 2003 at 20:47:50:

In Reply to: Which F Tuba? posted by Bart Summit on May 09, 2003 at 16:22:49:

I think I'll be the first one to answer your question. I've only heard of and heard a recording of Hirs F. A student at USC has a PT-12 I think and heard from my friend that it's a butt-kicking horn and that it's amazing. I heard a recording of this European brass quintet that has a HB-8 and it sounds tight.

I would recommend getting the HB-12 over the HB-10. Reason being that even though the Hirs have a cut-through sound, it would be more versatile having a full-sized F tuba. It would be more suitable for quintet and orchestra.

Just like Mike said in one of the replies, if you rather save money, the MW45slp would be the way to go. The 45slp and the HB-12 is similar in size. Different in sound, tone, and construction, but is very good. I'm actually thinking of getting one myself since I"m looking for an all-around horn for quintet and orchestra. As much as I like to play solos (i.e. better to get a 3/4 horn) you can't live off of playing solos on tuba unless you're smart and talented as Pat Sheridan and some other tuba players. Good luck getting a horn.

-W

Follow Ups: