Re: curious about (formerly) T.U.B.A.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dennis AsKew on May 11, 2003 at 08:49:29:

In Reply to: curious about (formerly) T.U.B.A. posted by dp on May 10, 2003 at 11:03:15:

Well, I've been contemplating answering this question on the board or not. I'm not speaking on behalf of ITEA, nor for any other person than myself. That said, here goes...

Doug Whitten very correctly stated the goals, etc. of ITEA and what the organization does.
I'm not going to go into that any further.

As a teacher of tuba and euphonium on the college level, the recent events of orchestras folding of course concerns me. I'm most especially concerned for the pros out there now who are having to juggle quite a bit more, now. However, for the "next generation", I'm not scared, but I am honest to them--it's rough to make a go of it. (and I've been saying that for years)But who said every single person who performs for a living has to make it in the orchestral world? I'm one of those who views the undergraduate performance degree as a training ground, but not specific (i.e. orchestral)job training. I don't teach at a conservatory, nor have I ever attended one--that's not my model. I do my best to help younger players to see possibilities of making a career in music--one of my tuba performance majors (you know, the ones who come to college with the goal of playing in a symphony upon graduation) took courses in jazz improv (I know, courses in that do seem silly) and plays in a combo now--and does soloing along with playing bass lines--I think he's now better prepared to be able to freelance in a variety of styles. He also has gotten a fair amount of brass quintet experience, and just gave a really good junior recital. He's not alone in the "varied" experiences from others in my studio. That's the way I (remember, I'm speaking for myself and no one else) tend to go about things. Realize, too, that most of my students are NOT performance majors, the majority of the students I've taught have been music ed majors. That degree track IS job training, and I've had many successful students go out into the world as ms/hs teachers.

Bottom line, yes, I think ITEA should continue to have sessions at conferences like they did last summer for students--they had a variety of panelists including Dave Fedderly and Pat Sheridan give their opinions on what should be done to prepare for careers as musicians. I think ITEA should continue to hold regional conferenes where folks from that area can come together and discuss these types of problems as it effects those in that area. I think that NASM (the accrediting body for schools of music) should continue to require member schools to teach classes in everything from ear training to business to "professional skills" (i.e. how to market yourself, how to make a cd, what goes into being "on Broadway", etc.) I think tuba and euphonium teachers should continue to provide and teach as varied a set of performing skills as possible. Should here be any formal statement from any of these groups? Nope, probably won't do much good, if any. Should thoughtful insight regarding coverage and discussion of these issues take place? Yep. By individuals, with individuals.

enough of my rambling, thanks for listening.

dwa

Follow Ups: