Re: Diff. energy effort for diff. tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Roger Lewis on May 13, 2003 at 06:59:50:

In Reply to: Diff. energy effort for diff. tubas posted by Volker on May 11, 2003 at 13:01:18:

The one thing to remember in all this is that the hunk of tin on your lap doesn't produce any sound unless you throw it down a flight of stairs. The PERSON is the sound producing element of the symbiotic relationship we have with the amplifier we hold. I would have suggested a more conservative mouthpiece with a smaller backbore to compensate for the physical exertion that he is experiencing. I have worked with many serior tuba players, some ready to give up playing, and a simple change of mouthpiece allowed them to continue to enjoy their current horn and play with much greater ease. This has also worked with some rather severe asthmatics as well. If it is a matter of holding the instrument, there are stands available that will do this for you, letting you just move the air and push the buttons.
If it's a matter of carrying the instrument, well, that's the job of the "mute boy" - the guy that handles all your mute changes.

Just my observations.

Roger

Follow Ups: