Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: teens auditioning in pro orchestras

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on May 13, 2003 at 21:19:20:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: teens auditioning in pro orchestras posted by js on May 13, 2003 at 12:58:51:

As I have said before, those who have it are least likely to recognize its existence, because for them it is transparent.

But some people react to my claim that talent is a big factor as though I'm accusing them of not working hard. That suggests that they believe that talent + hard work = good results. Thus, if hard work is 98%, then the talentless can get 98% of the results of the talented. I just don't think this is possible.

I think it's more like talent times hard work = good results. If either talent or hard work are lacking, the results will be, too. Multiply anything by a small number and you get a small number, compared to multiplying it by a large number.

For Joe's purposes, however, it's probably true that talent is close enough to being a constant. Those without talent never make it to that audition in the first place. They abandon music as a goal early on when they run into that talent ceiling (assuming they went that way in the first place). Talent and hard work are hard to separate--one of the traits of prodigies is a huge inner drive and compulsion to work harder than anyone else, as reported by one study I heard described a number of years ago.

So, the success of one auditioner compared to the next is very likely to be based on how hard he worked.

Rick "for whom talents make some things easy, but music not being one of them" Denney

Follow Ups: