Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bad News List

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on May 14, 2003 at 21:00:49:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bad News List posted by Mary Ann on May 14, 2003 at 19:48:12:

Hey, MA. If I misunderstood, I apologize. This is the passage where I thought I was reading that:

I think what is happening with the arts is symptomatic of what is happening all over, and can't think of a thing to do about it. I do believe that capitalism is ruining the world, because it is controlling the availability of everything

I think man's evil is ruining the world, and has been since the fall. In every system there are people more powerful and others less powerful, and in every system there are people who will seek that power for evil reasons. Capitalism is no different. But I don't know of a system that allows people greater control (NOT complete control) over WHICH others will be in power over them, or in what ways, than capitalism does.

Just as aside (really more to Volker than to MA), I had a friend who needed his first kidney transplant when he was 23 or 24. After that, he was never able to work full-time again, and thus never had insurance for himself or his family. Yet he was able to get THREE more kidney transplant over the following 15 years (unfortunately he died a couple of years ago). He was never denied treatment just because he couldn't pay. His daughter has needed specialized treatment for a learning disability; again, with no money and no insurance, they still were able to get the treatment she needed.

Joe Baker who thinks capitalism is the worst system in the world, except for everything else that has been tried.

Follow Ups: