Re: for Roger Lewis

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Roger Lewis on May 15, 2003 at 06:50:06:

In Reply to: for Roger Lewis posted by Bruce E. on May 14, 2003 at 14:13:02:

Good morning.
I play tested the prototype extensively, side-by-side with the Miraphone 186. The instruments are very close in appearance except the bell on teh Allora is about 1/2" larger. On the tuner they had the exact same pitch tendencies and the same full sound as well as an extremely similar feel in the valve action. The only real difference between the Allora and the 186 would be in the sound. The Allora has a slightly "brighter" sound that is still quite nice to listen to but it doesn't have the "core" sound of the Miraphone.

I spent several hours going back and forth between the two, doing scales and some solos and was quite impressed that the instrument perfomed so well when comparing the price tags. The Miraphone is a superior instrument in the sound, there was no doubt of that, but the Allora gives it a strong challenge. The construction is sturdy and appears as though it would hold up well over time. The soldering was professional grade and the lacquer job was also very good. Ergonomically I couldn't detect any difference between the Allora and the 186 - both were comfortable to play.

This was the prototype horn and I haven't yet had a chance to play one of the production instruments but will do so in the near future and post back to let all know the results.

Please feel free to e-mail me or call if you have any specific questions I can help with.

Roger

Follow Ups: