Linkage Conversion

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom B. on May 15, 2003 at 19:07:22:

I'm considering having the linkage on my old (1984) 5 rotor B&S "Perantucci Model" redone.

The current linkage consists of white nylon ball-in-socket that was installed shortly after the horn was purchased. The linkage is old and worn and the sockets frequently slip off of the balls on the 1st and 5th valve.

I'm a huge fan of the Uniball & Miniball linkage used on most new rotor tubas, and would really like to do a Uniball conversion.

I've discovered that the conversion is not completely "mechanical" and that it requires some fabrication for the retro-fit to work correctly. From what I've been told on the phone, a "conversion kit" for a 5 rotor PT-10 (basically what I have) consists of 48 parts and sells for about $250.

I'm interested in what experience others have had doing a Uniball retro-fit.

Also, what about Miniball? Where can I get it and how much does it cost? Any custom fabrication involved?

My last option is a different kind of nylon linkage. It's the hard black nylon stuff that "clamps" around a ball. I believe this is the same stuff that many Bach trombone owners have their trigger linkage converted to. The cost estimate I have been given is around half the price of the Uniball linkage.

Any thoughts?

I'm also aware of the Dubro linkages, and after visiting a couple of local hobby shops, I've decided that I do not want that kind of linkage.

Follow Ups: