Re: Re: Twitching, note accuracy

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ian Easton on May 16, 2003 at 01:16:25:

In Reply to: Re: Twitching, note accuracy posted by tubaguy on May 15, 2003 at 12:01:59:

I wanted to give my vote for buzzing. I have seen (ie heard) the positive effects that it produces in literally thousands of students, over the years.

I play with firm corners (although I do pull them down for pedal notes; my low range is fine, so I don't buy into the should you/shouldn't you pull them down debate) and my lips only 'pucker' in response to the air stream.

Tubaguy's post seems like an over-intellectualised response: I agree with the other poster's comment to let the lips do their stuff (if the tone/flexibility/range etc is OK, that is; otherwise some revision/analysis may be needed).

Following is a worst case senario (very rare), and bear in mind I don't have all the facts at my fingertips (ie I haven't seen you play):

Years ago I had a student who's lip corners twitched; after much work trying to fix the problem, I ended up tending to believe it was focal dystonia (search the archives). Don't panic: I may be completely wrong on this: you really need someone to have a look at you as you play.

Best of luck,

Ian Easton

Follow Ups: