Re: tuba for high school tubist

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doc on May 17, 2003 at 14:02:36:

In Reply to: tuba for high school tubist posted by Steven Hynds on May 17, 2003 at 12:53:54:

Congrats on getting a tuba. If you are taking lessons from a professional, his/her opinion is the one to go with, coupled with what you find that fits you and your playing needs. If you know where you would like to go to college, you might have a couple of lessons with the teacher there, and then get his/her opinion. All that aside, if I had to make a blind recommendation, I would recommend buying a 4/4 CC for all purpose playing. You can buy a bigger horn later if you really need it. You can play a 4/4 in large ensembles, quintets, solos, juries, etc. I would suggest these in no particular order:

Mirafone 186 5U CC (hard to go wrong with this one, unless you don't like rotary valves)
Mirafone 188 5U CC
Meinl Weston 2145
Conn 52J or 56J
Rudolf Meinl 43
Rudolf Meinl 4345 (piston or rotary)
Gronitz PCM
PT4
(last four have become quite expensive to buy new)
There are other great horns out there. You don't have to have a Nirschl or Hirsbrunner to be a good player, but I wouldn't pass up trying them. You just have to try out a lot of new and used horns. Go to a tuba dealer and try every CC they have until you find "the one". There are many dealers listed in the "SHOPS" page.Good luck.
Doc

Follow Ups: