Alexander f tuba to sell

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by dp on May 17, 2003 at 20:06:28:

That's right I still have two "vintage" Alexanders, a nickel-silver plated 6-valve horn built around 1940 and a laquered brass 5-valve made in 1975, during the mysterious period when Alexander supposedly wasn't building tubas for the general public (it is a former German state-orchestra horn.) The silver horn was converted from a viennese system horn and has valves 5&6 low on the left hand. It shows it's age, but is sound mechanically and any patina is cosmetic only.
The brass one has the 5th valve on the left hand, a gold brass leadpipe, it's in excellent cosmetic as well as playing condition.
Both have that "famous Alexander sound", the lacquered one is a scootch darker-sounding and has a little better low end. Both sing beautifully and with a proper small f mouthpiece have good intonation. Honestly if I could keep multiple f tubas I'd keep them both! I don't know if anyone out there is shopping for tubas these days, but if you've been in the mood (spring fever, whatever) or you've convinced your folks to get you an f tuba for graduation, drop me a line!

Best,

Dale Phelps
San Jose CA

Follow Ups: