Re: Re: Re: Re: What ever happened to....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on May 19, 2003 at 06:52:54:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: What ever happened to.... posted by Joe Baker on May 17, 2003 at 07:04:56:

With respect to both of you and your viewpoints;

1. The Bible teaches the aspects of giving of your money and talents.
2. The Bible teaches that the Church should take care of those who minister to it.

There are those who feel that they need to perform without fee so that they can be blessed for their participation in worship and praise. There are also those who make part of their livlihoods by playing in these orchestras. Personally, there are situations where I will play for free, but if I have to work, (load the blazer 3 or 4 times, drive 30 or more miles, unload and rehearse for 2 or 3 hours), I feel that it is the responsibility of the church to take care of those who work for it.

As this will raise some eyebrows, I will back this up with scripture.

According to New Testament scripture, (Acts 4: 32-37 is one place in particular), tyhe Apostles were taken care of by the Church. In that early church, its members usually sold all of their posessions and gave the money to the apostles for the welfare of the group.
The aplostle Paul received support from the Church while he was in his journey to Rome.

If you wish to play for free, please do so. Please play in church and bless those who will hear you. We all accept that the blessing will happen if the performer is in the right frame of mind and spirit. If the performer is being paid, then worship can still happen if again the right mind set and spirit is present. The people who donated the money for us being paid will also be blessed if all is correct in spirit.

Personally, my guideline is that I play free for my own church. I would be there anyway. Our music director gives his pay for the day to anyone who subs for him when he is gone. If I am the sub, I take the pay because the job involves work. If I play at another church, I usually receive some kind of pay. The amount depends upon the financial condition of the church and what is being provided to the other musicians. The question of pay is always answered berfore the first rehearsal or appearance.

Finally, the Bible also teaches that we should not expect something for nothing. When we give, we are to give out of the right spirit and without duplicity. We are also told that if we don't work, neither should we eat. Play and receive blessings (pay and spiritual), and play to worship. You can do both.

Peace, and Love in Christ,

Tom Mason

Follow Ups: