Re: "T" and "D" syllables

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Roger Lewis on May 19, 2003 at 08:25:57:

In Reply to: "T" and "D" syllables posted by Adam Crowe on May 16, 2003 at 19:14:59:

Here's my "take on this topic. First of all the attack syllable should be whispered, not "voiced". This pretty well eliminates the vocalization on the D syllable. What I find is that the two syllable place the tip of the tongue in different positions on the roof of the mouth. The "T" attack places the tip of the tongue where the upper teeth and gums meet, whereas the "D" attack places the tongue further back on the roof of the mouth. The reason (in my humble opinion) they have a different effect on the attack is that when the tongue is more forward (as in the "T" attack), there is very little "static air" between the tongue and the lips, this will produce a more percussive and immediate attack. With the tongue further back, as in the "D" syllable there is considerably more static air between the tongue and the lips. This air must be brought into motion by the pressurized air behind the tongue when the tongue drops out of the way and this is why the attack is "softer" - the pressure of the attacking air stream is lessened by the static air on the other side of the tongue being brought into motion.

This is just how I envision it. Your vision may be less myopic than mine.

Roger

Follow Ups: