Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CBS TV is costing tuba players $ tonight

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony E on May 19, 2003 at 09:54:14:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CBS TV is costing tuba players $ tonight posted by Thank Heaven on May 19, 2003 at 07:50:28:

Joe,

Well, it's better if the discussion happens later anyway, since we all know who he is and what he's done. That way, when it get's discussed later, folks can get all hot that the poor guy is being abused once again, and tell the kids it never happened that way. Now all we need is for the poor guy to come up with at least one catchy tune...

Discussions about Wagner pop up quite frequently, it seems. I've always thought it's an interesting issue because of the slippery slope that follows if we start attaching the worth of music to the character of the composer. Where would we stop? Would we exclude musicians who abused their wife, for example? If not, are we saying abuse is acceptable whereas racism is not? If so, who would be left to listen too, since no one is perfect? The idea that Wagner should be banned is a discussion that goes straight to the transcendent nature of music.

The suggestion that it's time to leave poor Wagner alone because he really didn't have a connection to the Nazi movement or Hitler, I can't agree with. The connection was the culture of hatred and anti-Semitism that they both, in their own way, perpetuated. Even apart from the events following his death, when it comes to anti-Semitism, Wagner was his own man, and that's a part of the story that should be told.

However, there is no need to exonerate the man to accept his contributions to music.

That being said, I'm going back to practicing these Wagner exerpts.

My .02 Feel free to have the last word.

Tony E

Follow Ups: