Re: "T" and "D" syllables

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Me doo--er, too! on May 19, 2003 at 20:38:51:

In Reply to: "T" and "D" syllables posted by Adam Crowe on May 16, 2003 at 19:14:59:

Okay, I did my experiment pronoucing doe, toe, dah, tah, dee, tee, day, tay, doo, too, foot, food, etc. with a sheet of tissue suspended in front of my mouth. The "t" sounds, being true plosives (i.e., the breath is stopped by the tongue then suddenly released) resulted in a stronger impulse than the "d" sounds which barely moved the tissue.

For me, the "t" held back air, while the "d" did not. I can see how a linguist might say a "d" ain't a "d" without vocalization, because it's hard to make a really discernable NORMAL d without some sort of vocalization.

But I'd like to submit that the "d" and "t" that brass players use aren't the same as used in speech. My "d" articulation simply puts my tongue higher in my mouth; my "t"puts the tongue almost at the base of the front teeth--both are a bit more exaggerated than used in normal speech.

By extending this idea, I think the same distinction applies between "g""and "k" articulations--the "k" is the plosive in this case. The "g" is simply a guttural stop, but without a lot of back pressure, like the "k" has.

At least it's this way for me.

---Chuck(G)

Follow Ups: