Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Texas RTEC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TubaRay on May 20, 2003 at 10:20:29:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Texas RTEC posted by Richard Murrow on May 19, 2003 at 17:59:21:

I hope my earlier comments were not interpreted to be disparaging toward the recent Texas conference. I believe it was well-publicized and it certainly had a program which made it extremely attractive. I believe Richard and others connected with putting it on are to be both congratulated and thanked profusely. It is a great deal of work, and I, for one, am grateful for their effort. I truly wish I could have attended.

My earlier comments were not meant to be more than slightly critical. In fact, I don't really intend to be critical at all. What I am attempting to say is that I believe it would be a wonderful thing if those amateurs out there were able to meet each other more often. That is one of the things that is truly remarkable about this venue. Amateur and professional, alike, are able to have a place to come together(in cyberspace, I guess) and discuss, share, etc. To be sure, modern life makes coming together physically(as in attending a conference) a sometime difficult proposition. I have had the opportunity to attend the Army Band Tuba-Euph conference the past two years. I have a great time. Many amateurs attend. Many pros attend. A good time is had by all.

In short, to the amateurs out there: If you want to be included in things of this type, you need to be certain to attend the conferences when they are put on. Make it out to as many musical activites as possible. If these activities are not supported with attendance(and where appropriate--money), they will not continue. I would also agree with Caroles hypothesis that there are more conferences now which leads to them being more commonplace which leads to lesser attendance.

To Richard and the many others who have devoted much time and energy to organize, plan, and implement, I say a huge THANK YOU!!!

Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters

Follow Ups: