Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CBS TV is costing tuba players $ tonight

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on May 21, 2003 at 10:40:15:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CBS TV is costing tuba players $ tonight posted by but not on May 21, 2003 at 09:13:32:

Yeah, but I'm not certain there is a word that would get universal acceptance. I would suggest "ethnicity", but the word has as its root ethnos, which was the word used to translate goyim (english "gentiles") when the Hebrew scriptures were translated to Greek. So what then? Clan? Society? Worldwide community? People group?

I think the bottom line is that one should look to the intent of the person selecting these words, and the specific aspect of Judaism to which they refer. If they speak of 'race' or 'ethnicity', they are talking about their family tree; if they speak of 'religion' or 'faith', they are talking about their - uh - religion or faith. If they are talking about the 'whole package' they will tend to just say 'Judaism'. But just because they can't find the 'perfect' word (which I can't do even after considerable reflection) doesn't mean that they are being disrespectful.

Joe Baker, who values precision in language, but thinks that the hearer also bears responsibility for correct understanding.

Follow Ups: