Re: Emergency sale, II

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by SOLD!! (read on...) on May 21, 2003 at 11:13:32:

In Reply to: Emergency sale, II posted by Wade on May 19, 2003 at 18:18:34:

The Alex has been sold!

The Miraphone 180 5U F tuba is still up for grabs at the posted price, but it is no longer a desperate, quick-sale item. If interested in this tuba, here is a repeat of my quite unflattering description:

"I also have a very mediocre Miraphone 180 F with no case, bag, or mp for $800. It is really not too bad on Berlioz and Bydlo, but is NOT a quintet or solo tuba. However, the price is pretty low."

Well, I spent some time with it last night (2 hours). I played Berlioz, Mendelssohn, Brahms, and the Bydlo solo. And it was pretty darn good for that type of thing!

(And I had a heck of a good laugh trying to play Prokofiev 5 on it as well! It REALLY STINKS on big and low lit!)

It is not a very easy tuba to play as a solo vehicle. By way of example: the VW is doable with some work, but the Broughton would take a Herculean effort.

It would be a disaster tuba as a quintet tuba.

But if you relegate it to the type of excerpts that I described above, it is not too shabby!

Physically, it is unlacquered and has the beginnings of a pretty decent patina going. It has no real dents, but it does have a few small flat spots on the bottom bow guard.

If you need an F to "get by" on while you raise the bucks for a larger one, then $800 is a very good price for this tuba. E-mail for information regarding this instrument. The sale of the Alex has removed the "emergency" from my life, and I can take my time selling this one. Take yor time to think about it and e-mail me.

Thanks to the many that responded to this post! (27 total!)

Wade "whew!" Rackley

Follow Ups: