Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CC or F?????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on May 22, 2003 at 14:31:35:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: CC or F????? posted by I think... on May 22, 2003 at 13:32:45:

We here that a lot, and I've even said it, but I'm not sure it's true that manufacturers put all their best work in their CC tubas.

Those manufacturers that support the non-British European market are just as concerned about their BBb and F tubas as their C's. I have a hard time believing that the Rudy Meinl BBb has gotten any less attention than the CC, and what are those repeated requests I keep hearing for a CC version of the Miraphone 191?

Your test is not conclusive. Take a great player who plays BBb, and have them audition matched Bb's and C's (e.g. Miraphone 186 CC vs. 186 BBb, or Willson 3050 vs. 3100, or Meinl-Weston 25 vs. 32), and rate the results from behind a screen, and another great player who normally plays CC and do the same, and I'd bet that you'd have a hard time showing any significant difference in the results. You have to control for the player's bias, since a double-blind test isn't possible.

I'd bet that while the players might notice the difference, the audience of judges would not.

Rick "willing to be proven wrong" Denney

Follow Ups: