Re: Re: Re: a dumb post here

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on May 23, 2003 at 19:40:44:

In Reply to: Re: Re: a dumb post here posted by Rick Denney on May 23, 2003 at 13:40:20:

I was really impressed when the young man offered his Falcone submission for the review of the entire tubenet populus. I thought all critiques offered were meaningful and insightful...hopefully beneficial. That took quite a bit of courage, and was a revolutionary way to utilize this bulletin board.

The purpose of my post wasn't to encourage negative reviews of professionals' performances, but sincerely wondering if some tuba performances (no one specific in mind) are over-enthusiastically received by tuba players...

...The very very early days of T.U.B.A. come to mind, and those reflections (which were brought to mind by someone else's post regarding another topic) reminded me of some of those 1970's "satifactory" recitals. At regional conferences in the "old days", there was a lot of back-patting and grinning, and only occasionally-wowing recitals. I remember, for instance, Bart Cummings playing "wowing" me. I also remember an Assistant Professor of Tuba that thought it would be OK to sight-read a tuba sonata by one of the composition students at his university, since it was such an outstanding composition. Today, I'm certain, far more "professional" tuba players'/teachers' recitals are worthy of sincere praise. In the early days, I felt T.U.B.A. was a bit of a club for self-cheerleaders.

HERE THE POINT OF MY POST, ABOVE: I was wondering if tuba playing, tuba music, and tuba performance has "grown" enough (since the early '70's) that we're not still silently qualifying our praise with the "really great for a tuba " thing in the backs of our minds.

Follow Ups: