Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ITEA Divisions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on May 24, 2003 at 02:20:14:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ITEA Divisions posted by John on May 24, 2003 at 01:33:17:

While the events were not set up for monthly get togethers, we did find ways to get together about every quarter. Yearly there were regional get togethers that were very informal. That's how I met David Randolph, Harvey Phillips, and Earl Louder. Every other year there was a national shindig in the middle part of the country, Indiana, if memory serves me.

We have become more distant in terms of meeting and sharing ideas as technology changed and as more and more players entered the field wanting to scratch out a living by playing or teaching. Doctorates have proliferated like crazy. The young players can, technically, play rings around some of us but have missed in learning how to play musically. We've also forgotten how to just "have fun" with our instruments and the groups we play with.

I would really like to see a group of interested people from the youngest player to the oldest no matter what your level of playing, meet to discuss and make some changes. We can promote our "art" without hurting feelings, getting real feedback on performances, and generally get better without getting bitter.

I just drove to Cambridge, MA from Houston, TX to see my son graduate from college so a little driving won't hurt me. Anyone else want to do the same? Perhaps there will be some interested parties at the Southwest Regional in Tucson in a couple of weeks. I play at 11 a.m. on Friday. Lunch follows.

Follow Ups: