Re: Re: Re: "T" and "D" syllables

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Heter on May 24, 2003 at 22:17:24:

In Reply to: Re: Re: "T" and "D" syllables posted by Tabor T and A, er..D on May 17, 2003 at 01:52:31:

I think you can use either "Tu" or "Du", as long you keep an open throated tone, and get your attack in double and triple tonguing to basically "bounce" along on a cushion of solid breath support. Mr. Bell liked "Tu"; my cornet teacher (yes, I still play both) James F. Burke, who was a student of Ernest Williams and Del Staigers preferred "du" for single, "du-du-gah" for triple and "du-gah" for double. And anyone reading this who remembers Jimmy knows he could seamlessly switch between them, baffling everybody.
The point is, I think, find a happy medium where you can articulate cleanly without strain - too many players fight their horns - and make sure you refrain from goofy stuff like "throat" attacks. Go back and read Arban's text - the "attack", a contradiction in terms, is actually a "retreat". You use your tongue to start the note, and then get it out of the way for the air to keep your lips vibrating, etc.
Also, seriously - make sure you are BLOWING the horn. It's a WIND instrument, and all the mouthpieces and vented valves and triggers, and consultations with speech therapists won't help you at all if you don't fill the horn with AIR.

Follow Ups: