Re: Besson 983

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark on May 25, 2003 at 19:10:26:

In Reply to: Besson 983 posted by Doug on May 25, 2003 at 15:11:48:

I've owned my 983 for around 4 years. I have used it mainly as a quintet, dixieland and solo instrument. I have also played it in a community orchestra and in an advance adult wind ensemble. I have found the instrument to be very flexible and I can vary the sound enough to be a strong contributer to any of the groups I've played it with. Having said that, I would not play it in a professional orchestra unless they were doing works that generally would be more suitable to a smaller instrument. (i.e. Berlioz, Brahm's Requiem, Mendelssohn, etc...) Even though I feel I can get a fairly large sound out of the horn, I would not feel comfortable doing most of the repertoire performed in American orchestras with this instrument mainly because of the volume and sound requirements on the professional level. In other words, it does not replace a large CC for the orchestra medium.

I do love the instrument and enjoy playing it. For me, I am getting the sounds I want from a smaller tuba. I do feel that the biggest sound I get on this tuba is comparable to what I've heard others get on a smaller CC tuba. The Wilson is bigger, but, for me, I liked my sound better on the Besson.

I encourage you to try one yourself and see. Good luck in your search and/or inquiry.

Mark

Follow Ups: