Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Vaughan Williams on BBb? Why not?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on May 27, 2003 at 09:55:45:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Vaughan Williams on BBb? Why not? posted by Phil on May 23, 2003 at 19:42:07:

Oh? Last I looked, it was spelled R-a-l-p-h, though it was certainly pronounced "Rafe".

I have to say that I was not even aware that he'd composed a tuba concerto until after I'd been well established as a true fan of his work. I was in my non-playing dormancy during that time, and when I'd played in high school the tuba concerto was not a blip on the radar. I'd never heard of Vaughan Williams until after college. It should also be noted that Vaughan Williams was in a dormant period himself, being not modern enough for the modernists, being too English for Americans who thought only Europeans could make classical music, being too rooted in folk song for the sophisticates and intellectuals, being too unknown for the symphony-league ladies, and being too happy and friendly for the public-television and Hollywood documentarists.

Rick "thinking the Tuba Concerto has not lead the resurgence of RVW popularity" Denney

Follow Ups: