Re: MW-2145 or PT-20

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Benjamin Schardt on May 27, 2003 at 10:31:55:

In Reply to: MW-2145 or PT-20 posted by Richie on May 24, 2003 at 19:14:37:

Seems to be unanimous favor for the PT so far. So, let me confuse the issue a bit...

When there are public questions relating to the 2145, I'm usually one of the first to get involved, just because I'm such a fan of the horn. I no longer own mine, having sold it about 4 months ago, but, as I frequently fantasize, in a perfect world I would have my Yamaha 822 F, a big CC, and the 2145. The 822 is perfect for most quintet stuff, but, for the lower parts, the 2145 is just super comfortable; it can handle the lower range great without overpowering, as well as keep a consistant tone throughout the entire range of the instrument. The reason I sold it is only because of anticipation of purchasing a large CC in the not-too-distant future, and keeping the 2145 along with the large F and CC just isn't economically feasable.

The 2145 was my sole horn throughout my undergraduate years; it did well as a solo instrument, in quintet, orchestra (PT probably has the edge here... for some of the HUGE moments, the size of the 2145 could get a bit frustrating,) and it was the perfect section tuba for a wind ensemble of any size. Very versatile horn, only 2 bad notes that I can think of (low C# and G at the top of the staff.) Great price too; I believe that you can find it for 5700 right now new some places. Looks nice too.

If I had to do 4 years of undergrad again, I'd grab the 2145.

Follow Ups: