New Modern Jazz Tuba Project CD

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard Perry on May 29, 2003 at 07:08:53:

I just got this message from Joe Murphy about the release (finally!) of our new CD, "Favorite Things." I'm still waiting for my copy of the disc, but all the rough cuts I've heard have been great. Please visit our website and check it out. If you want to contact Joe directly, his email address is on the site.

By the way, Joe arranged "Pick Up the Pieces" and "Sing, Sing, Sing" in addition to his usual stellar playing contributions.

Message follows...
---
Hi All!!

I hope this email finds you all well and enjoying this spring. I wanted to take a moment to let all of you know what's going on in my life right now.

Winston Morris and I just finished producing our latest tuba jazz cd. Many of you know of my latest tuba group, the Modern Jazz Tuba Project. We've had some GREAT gigs all over the country and our first cd was very well received("Live At The Bottom Line").

Our latest work is a studio recording with some of the very best musicians in Nashville! The new cd is entitled, "Favorite Things".

There are a few tunes on the cd that are tributes to the late great jazz euphoniumist, Rich Matteson. These tunes are: "Georgia On My Mind", "Gregory Is Here" and "Hey Man!" Both Georgia and Gregory are Rich's own arrangements written for the Matteson-Phillips Tubajazz Consort. These charts are a gas to play!! Dr. Richard Perry took Mr. Matteson's duet on "Hey Man!"(with Phil Wilson) and expanded it for 6 horns. It's a GREAT samba!!

Other titles include: "My Favorite Things", Theme for Malcolm", "The Pearl Casters", "Pick Up The Pieces" and "Sing, Sing, Sing". These are all brand new arrangements written especially for MJT by TERRIFIC composers and arrangers.

Richard Perry did a "take" on "Autumn Leaves" and named it "Kool Kube". It's a real swinging chart with a 32 bar acapella soli section and then a "Basie-style" shout with Billy Huber just nailing the lead!!

The other two tunes on the disk feature Ms. Connye Florance. Connye is my absolute FAVORITE jazz singer in Nashville!! She won the BET Jazz Vocalist of the Year a couple of years ago. SHE IS FABULOUS!! She happily refers to herself as, "The only chick singer to front a tuba band since Chaka Kahn!!". :-)

The rhythm section includes: Bob Mater, Jim Ferguson, Paul Carrol Binkley, Steve Willets and Kevin Madill. These guys are "the pros' pros"!! I can't possibly thank these guys enough for making this recording such a joy!! They are all simply, the best!

This disk is the highlight of my recording life!! With guys like Barry Green, Billy Huber, Marcus Dickman, Richard Perry and my mentor, Winston Morris, this cd marks a VERY special point in my career. All of the engineering was spear-headed by Eddie Bedford. As one of my best friends, there is no one person I'd rather spend MONTHS in the studio with than Eddie!

You can all check out five or six sound files on our website at: http:/www.mjtproject.com/ When the home page loads, just click on, "sound files" and you'll be there.

There is also a full length version of "My Favorite Things" available for download on the website. You'll find the link right above the other sound files. I tried to compress it as little as possible. I hope you enjoy it.

Please drop me an email and let me know what you think of the sound files. Of course, you can buy a copy of the cd if you so desire. :-) The info is on the website.

I wish you all the best! Keep in touch...

Your friend,

Joe Murphy
lead tuba, Modern Jazz Tuba Project :-)

Follow Ups: